What does the number on the egg mean?
It is mandatory for producers to mark eggs with a producer code. This ensures transparency and traceability. When buying South Tyrolean free-range eggs labelled “Quality Alto Adige”, take note of the combination of numbers and letters.
The producer code consists of:
• a number indicating the method of hen raising (0 = organic egg production, 1 = free-range eggs, 2 = deep litter indoor housing, 3 = cage farming),
• a code for the respective EU member state (IT for Italy),
• the ISTAT code of the municipality where the hen laying establishment is located (e.g. 019 for the municipality of Kastelruth/Castelrotto),
• the province ID (BZ for Bolzano/Bozen), and
• a sequential registration number given out by the healthcare service indicating the hen laying establishment (e.g. 001).